Saturday, January 9, 2010

Why does my spouse worry about things she will not change?

For example, she worries about getting diabetes to the point of being OCD sometimes, but won't jump on the exercise bike, eat well (and stop hoarding and closet-eating candy), or change her lifestyle at all.





It's as if she believes one can't change her own fate.





Have you ever experienced this?Why does my spouse worry about things she will not change?
I used to be a borderline hypochondriac. I would worry about every little thing wrong with me, that it was a symptom of a serious illness, or if I read or heard about some disease, I'd worry about contracting it. I've lost two people very close to me, and I don't know whether that has anything to do with it or not, but I quit worrying about stuff like that. I try to take care of myself and lead as good a life as I can. If your wife is worried about getting diabetes, I suspect it's something she is turning over in her mind, about wanting to change her lifestyle to a healthier one. For whatever reason, she just isn't quite ready yet. This is something that no one else can decide for you. When she decides, she will do something.


I doubt her inaction is strictly from a belief that no one can change their own fate. I think she may be using food as a way of coping with or avoiding something she doesn't want to confront in her life. The inactive lifestyle goes along with that because she doesn't really want to change right now. I wish her well!Why does my spouse worry about things she will not change?
No. I can definitely be a worrier, but when it comes to a worry that I can prevent, I have always done what is necessary.





Sometimes, for some people, at least in my opinion, worrying becomes something that takes over--almost pathological. Tolle talks about this in a New Earth. From what I have seen, it is often about health related situations, and often accompanies an overall 'victim' mentality. For example, the people I know of who do this are ALWAYS talking like this: 'and then she said this to me, and can you believe she would say that to me.' *oh poor me, woe is me. I'm such a victim.*





It may not be true of your wife, (hope it's not!) but that's what I have seen from those I know. It sucks. These people are my least favorite and drain my energy consistently.
Women are classic worriers, regardless.





As far as worrying but refusing to change a habit, maybe she needs your help.





Next time she picks up that bag of candy, fall out and start writhing in agony on the floor. Tell her that's what will happen to her if she eats it. At least you will momentarily distract her.





As far as the bike, ask her to go to the gym with you. She might say ';Do you think I'm fat?'; To which you could reply ';Hell yes woman now lets go!'; or ';No honey, I just want you to be healthy because I love you.'; The choice is yours.





As far as eating well, that's a hard habit to change. Try cooking healthy things, and refusing to eat junk in front of her.





Sometimes our spouses can motivate us in both subtle and not so subtle ways. It's up to her to change, but you can gently nudge her in the right direction.
making lifestyle changes is very difficult for most of the women, they get glued to concepts and theories and would not change easily. Also many a times lack scientific approach. e.g. How much she reads about the latest developments in diabetes ? This is nature of a person , you cannot do anything !
She doesn't know the Serenity Prayer?





Perhaps we all could do better with this. At least I could... Heck, these days, everything causes cancer. My personal approach to this information was to stop reading labels. Because the number one killer (in my unprofessional opinion) is still STRESS.
She needs you to express love and support. She needs to be reassured that you love her and find her attractive no matter her weight.
Perhaps she is a hypochondriac.
She sounds like a hypochondriac. Go get her seen my a licensed professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment