Thursday, April 29, 2010

How do I help my spouse who has depression if I also feel depressed?

My husband has mild depression (suspected, not verified by a medical professional). I've been taking care of him since he stopped working about 1+yr ago. Right now, I'm also starting to feel depressed (having some symptoms like irritability, lethargy, feeling sad and suicidal occasionally). How do I continue to look after him and encourage him to find a new job before I sink deeper into depression? I'm holding a full-time job and cannot be there for him 24/7.How do I help my spouse who has depression if I also feel depressed?
read the bible god will helpHow do I help my spouse who has depression if I also feel depressed?
It totally makes sense that you would start becoming depressed when you're taking care of him 24/7 plus working a full time job. That's why there are such things as support groups for people who take care of ill relatives. I'm not saying he's ill, I have no idea - but its got to be taking a toll on you. Also, I'm confused as to why you have to take care of him all the time. Isn't he a full grown man capable of taking care of himself, especially when you are working full time?





If you have a medical doctor you trust, I would start there. He/She may be able to help or at least refer you to someone who can. You or your spouse may needs meds to help get out of the funk, or at least some counseling might help. If you are a member of a church, talking to your priest/pastor/whatever could be helpful.





The worst thing to do is nothing. Things like this usually keep getting worse unless you ask for help and follow through.
My heart really goes out to you!! I used to be very depressed, too. I came to Jesus and he is the best friend I could ever ask for! I used to think my husband would make me happy, but now I know that Jesus is the only One who can love me perfectly! He loves you more than anyone else can. If you come to him, believing he can save you, he will! You can come to him wherever you are. Just believe he died on the cross for your sins and ask him to forgive you. If you want to be his, you have to give up everything that comes between you and him, but it's so worth it!


I'm praying for you and your husband! That sounds like a really hard situation. I remember being depressed when my first son was a baby. I would try to be happy for his sake, but I knew my sadness affected him. Jesus gives me so much joy now! The more I realize how much he loves me, the more joy I have to share with others!


I would love to be there for you to encourage you. If you ever want to talk, you can email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment