Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why was some of my Stimulus payment taken if i filed Injured Spouse?

I filed Injured Spouse this year on my taxes because my husband owes back child support. I got my half of my tax return, but they took half of MY stimulus payment. I understand they are to take my husbands share, but why did they take half of my Stimulus Payment?Why was some of my Stimulus payment taken if i filed Injured Spouse?
They didn't take half of YOUR payment - there isn't a YOUR payment. There is a joint payment to the two of you totalling $900. They took half of it, and because of the injured spouse payment, sent you the other half, $450.Why was some of my Stimulus payment taken if i filed Injured Spouse?
You need to look at line 57 plus line 52 of your tax return to determine the amount of your rebate - not everyone got $600 per person. Some people got $300. Most news reports I heard or read only focused on the $600 amount and did not tell people that some people would not get the full amount.





Since your other question said that you expected $1,500 and you got $900, you probably did not pay enough in taxes to get the full amount of $1,500. You got $300 for you, $300 for your husband and $300 for your kid.





If you had no tax liability you got $300/$600 if married joint. If you had a tax liability of $600 or more, you got the full $600. If you were married, you had to have $1,200 of tax liability to get the full $1,200 rebate.

No comments:

Post a Comment