Thursday, April 29, 2010

What should I do to prepare myself as a future military spouse?

My fiance and I will be married in a few months. He's in the Navy. I would like to know any tips anyone has for making things work for the long haul. What should I expect besides deployments (we've already been through him being in Iraq last year). I know that there will be some difficult times but I am excited about facing those challenges with him. I would appreciate any advice anyone has! Thanks!What should I do to prepare myself as a future military spouse?
I'd recommend that you involve yourself in a career or job that can be transferred from location to location. You're going to need something to do when your husband is away on deployments. Deployments are a way of life in today's military.





Good luck.What should I do to prepare myself as a future military spouse?
You should read the book Married to the Military.
My husband has been and is about to be deployed again. The longest I have had him home was when he was a Drill Sergeant, and even that is not easy. Just love, love, love him, support him and be proud of him and make sure he knows it. It is not easy at all when they are gone and just make sure you understand that before you take a step as big as marriage. Soldiers are stressed deployed or not. Don't nag him about things that really don't matter, like how he didn't put the toilet seat down or why he throws his clothes in the middle of the floor. Those are going to be some of the things you miss when he is deployed. Marriage is work, but I'm lovin' it. Good luck to you both!
Alienate yourself from any friends who cheat on their spouses. Deployments do damage to most couples' trust, and no need to further worry him. If you live on on-post housing, it'll be extra hard to stay away from these people, and you will see why he might get worried. Most couples in the military cheat. It's sad, but true.
The best advice I ever received, which my husband gave me, was to stay away from all the rumors (worse than rumors in high school) and ONLY believe something when I hear it directly from him. I don't even believe most of the stuff my FRG (family readiness group) leader tells me. Arguing is petty, avoid it at all costs, it won't help anything. Effective communication is key .... phone calls are all you have during deployments, if you guys can't communicate (verbally) effectively its going to be a lot harder.
I am a military spouse and the best advice I can give you is learn to sacrifice.....alot.....


There are so many things that can be tough, and the worst thing you can do is be mad or hold resentment toward your husband for things that he cannot control. I just found out my husband will be doing training in another state on my birthday and on our 1st wedding anniv. This is tragic to me because it is a very special day....... and I will be alone....in a strange state with no friends and no family. Sacrifice......this is a military wifes duty.....we sacrifice just as much as our men for this country.....and we are very proud to do it!
Another good book is ';Today's Military Wife'; by Cline - it gives you a lot of good information. I re-read mine every time we get ready to do a PCS.

No comments:

Post a Comment