Monday, December 28, 2009

My injured spouse claim was not filed correctly and Colorado kept the refund. Any way to retrieve it?

I submitted the injured spouse form at a later date and I will be getting my Federal refund soon, but CO kept $600 and gave it to the child support office in our state to pay some of my husband's child support arrears. I don't want the money back from the child's mother, but am wondering had the injured form been filed properly, would this money have been taken out regardless? If so, can I go after my tax preparer to give me that money back?My injured spouse claim was not filed correctly and Colorado kept the refund. Any way to retrieve it?
If you file the form again and Colorado honors it, they *will* ask the mother for the money back.





No, you can't demand that the preparer give you the money instead.





If federal did the form correctly and the state didn't, I suspect an error in one of the tax authorities instead of the paperwork.My injured spouse claim was not filed correctly and Colorado kept the refund. Any way to retrieve it?
We are surrounded by idiots and now they have access to computers. If the IRS is giving you a refund then it must have been done correctly; ask for a supervisor in the Co revenue dept that you can discuss the problem with to get it corrected (somebody goofed). Their goof is not the fault of the tax preparer; refer to the first line of my response.

No comments:

Post a Comment