Thursday, December 31, 2009

How does Bah work when you and your spouse are in different states?

My new wife is currently in Tech School for the Air Force. We are about to set up BAH and wondering what location will they use. I am currently in DC and she is in Texas. So will they use her Texas base or my currently location of DC to base the amount of off?How does Bah work when you and your spouse are in different states?
They should use your location.


I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the AF handles the BAH the same way the Army does. When my husband was in A school, they gave me the BAH for the state that I was in, because that is where we were paying rent.How does Bah work when you and your spouse are in different states?
If she has unaccompanied orders to Tech School meaning that it is less than 21 weeks then the BAH will be based on the zip code she resided at when she enlisted. If she has a chance at accompanied orders because they will allow family there, then it will be based on Texas zip code. When she does complete Tech and has her first orders, then it will be based on where she is stationed.





ETA: There is no BAH for any place outside the 50 US States, that is considered OCONUS and they get OHA which is based on the amount of rent being paid and the AD member has to actually be stationed there. If the spouse is in a foreign country while you are going through Basic/Boot %26amp; Schooling then it will be based on the zip code the AD member is doing it at. It can also not be paid right away
Hello Temple,





I do believe that you both get BAH at the single rate.


And, the BAH is based on the base area that you are stationed.





Anybody can correct me if I am wrong.





Now, with many married people in the service in comparison to when I was in more than 20 years ago we have more people in this category.





It used to be rare to find married people in the services.





Best wishes,





Larry Smith


SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)


First Sergeant
it usually goes off the place that the spouse is at [which would be you] as this is classed as the ';home'; base............





I know we got it for me being in the UK when my husband was in the USA but that was the US Navy.





sorry I should have said that he was NOT going through boot at the time, but had been in for many years, and we did get BAH based on where I resided as he had been stationed there.
Your location will be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment