Monday, December 28, 2009

Spouse of a US Citizen going abroad and wants to apply for citizenship?

I am an US Citizen. My spouse is a green card holder for the last 4 years. We decided to apply for her citizenship. But, I just accepted an offer to work for my company aboard for 2 years. Can she still apply for citizenship and go with me abroad? Can they process her citizenship outside USA?Spouse of a US Citizen going abroad and wants to apply for citizenship?
in order to be naturalized? you must be physically present in the US,

naturalization is only done in the US.


Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The general requirements for administrative naturalization include:

# a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States

residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing;#

an ability to read, write, and speak English;

a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;

good moral character;

a Note: Recent changes in immigration law and USCIS procedures now make it easier for U.S. military personnel to naturalize (see Naturalization Information for Military Personnel).鈥?/a>

Spouse of a US Citizen going abroad and wants to apply for citizenship?
you are very welcome and thank you ;-)

Report Abuse

It's probably not a good idea for her to move or change address while her N-400 application is pending or being processed. That's because once you get the notice from USCIS, you have about 6 to 8 weeks before the interview and if you don't request a change of date, etc. your application will be considered forfeited. However, you can file a change of address form, but there is always a danger of it being misfiled or N-400 not being updated with your new address, mails could get crossed, etc. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
from what i faced, i couldn't step out of the US for more than 12 months. I had to come back before that time or else I was denouncing my residency.

But the citizenship process takes 6 months, so it may work out.
No. She has to go to interview at your local USCIS office and pass the required application process and exams.

If she lives now then her 5 years physically continuous living requirement restart from day 1.
  • green cream
  • nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment