Thursday, December 31, 2009

What do you think of people who set their spouse an allowance?

Do you think that is not a good thing and why not? Or do you think it is a good thing and why is it good? If only one spouse is working and they set an allowance for how much the unemployed spouse can spend is that wrong or right in your opinion?What do you think of people who set their spouse an allowance?
That's f***king hilarious, in my opinion.


I think it's fine if both partners consent to it.


Personally I would not deal with such nonsense.


Whatever works for you...What do you think of people who set their spouse an allowance?
I would probably not use the term as an ';allowance';, but as one of the other posters mentioned, a balanced budget is part of a healthy relationship. Knowing how much you intend to spend on what areas of your life and sticking to it can prevent so much stress and the arguments that go along with it. In a good relationship, I would think that the couple should make the budget together and come to an agreement so that it is not one person setting it for the other. Of course, there are some couples where one person is just not as fiscally responsible as the other and those situations have to be handled carefully.
I'd be quite happy if my husband did this as I am hopeless with money, always overspending. Unfortunately, he is just as hopeless. We will probably both die in debt. He doesn't have any inclination to restrict my spending. I think things like this are probably best discussed before marriage, otherwise they could cause resentment. I don't see anything wrong with it though so long as the working spouse isn't stingy.
I think that it is wrong IF the spouse at home is tending to home and children. This is b/c it sets up a parent/child dynamic that has no place in an intimate relationship. However, if the stay at home spouse is just lazy and refuses to work, then they get nothing. Isn't it enough that they are basically living for free anyways?
It depends. My husband and I both work and both of our paychecks go into a joint account. However, we each have a personal account and money is transferred from the joint account to these accounts monthly, as an allowance. This is used to buy personal items that we agree should not be paid for jointly. This can include any number of things - this month I bought an iPod Touch and a Blu-Ray burner, and my husband bought an Ebook reader.





Problems arise when the allowance is used as a way to control someone.
It depends on the reasons for the allowance. If the one spouse is horrible with money, then setting them an allowance to make sure the bills are paid and all of that, it is fine. If it is a way of manipulating or control, then it is bad.
Usually it is done because one of the parties spends too much, therefore its a good thing. It sets up a man of the house, wife relationship which is perfectly fine in an intimate male female relationship.
I don't see what the big deal is. I'm single and I give myself an allowance. It's called handling your household finances responsibly.
Budgeting is important when you are trying to avoid defaulting on credit cards or foreclosing on your home mortgage.
both should have an allowance


it's called budgeting every couple should have a budget


it's a good thing
There is a budget for every household.





Both adults should be on an allowance, not just one of them. It won't work any other way.
Go make your own money and stop relying on men to give you money. It's that simple.
I think they are a menace.
  • green cream
  • puffy eye cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment